A Master Course from John Warner
Teaching Writing In An Artificial Intelligence World
Teaching Writing In An Artificial Intelligence World is an online master course from John Warner for teachers, instructional coaches & school leaders looking to build a successful writing practice for students in the age of AI. Right now, get lifetime access for just $147.Enroll In The Master Course Now (or scroll to bottom for group pricing option)
“An essential guidebook in or outside the classroom for anyone who wants to think, act, and communicate as a writer.” - Library Journal
“John Warner invites you to rethink everything you have learned about education, and writing in particular. Accept that invitation." - James Lang
Warner is pragmatic, not programmatic, and hopeful without being naïve. I hope teachers, parents, and admin across the US [dive in]." - Ryan Boyd
A Framework for Teaching Writing In The Age of AI
Everything you need to know about teaching, facilitating, & managing the writing process (while dealing with our current AI reality).
Part 1: Should We Be Freaking Out About ChatGPT? No.
Freaking out about ChatGPT?
- Introduction to ChatGPT and Large Language Model (LLM algorithms).
- ChatGPT isn’t “writing.” It’s producing writing imitations.
- All the reasons banning ChatGPT wouldn’t work, and isn’t necessary anyway.
Part 2: Why They Can’t Write
Learning v. Schooling
- What makes writing good?
- What writing is: thinking and making choices inside an experience.
- Leaving templates behind and leading with engagement.
- Writing as problem-solving.
Part 3: The Writer’s Practice
Learning and Living As Writers
- Overview of the Writer’s Practice
- Attitudes, knowledge, skills, and habits of mind of writers.
- Elements of a writing experience.
- Practicing the practice through a specific experience.
Part 4: Building Your Own Writing Experiences
Going From Writing Assignments To Writing Experiences
- Experience v. Activity
- Your most disappointing assignment.
- Reconceiving the Research Paper
- Starting with Argument and Curiosity
- Research as Necessity
Part 5: Assessing Writing Experiences
Grading and Feedback. A question of values.
- Systemic limits on feedback and grading of student writing.
- Why do you grade what you grade?
- Formative v. Summative Feedback
- Grading process rather than product.
- The power of reflection.
What Is Included In The Course?
✅ Value-Packed Video Tutorials
This course includes 20+ value-packed video tutorials taking you step-by-step through dealing with. ChatGPT, writing strategies, assessment structures, and so much more to prepare your staff and students in a world of artificial intelligence.
✅ Templates, Slides, and Resources
The ultimate resources for any veteran or new educator. Whether you are coaching teachers, teaching Grades 6-12, or using this program to jump-start a new Higher Ed initiative, these resources will take your understanding of AI and writing to the next level.
✅ A Community of Learners
That's right, you'll get connected with other educators who are learning, teaching, and working through these changes right now! The smartest person in the room - is the room! Learn from each other and John Warner in a superior community experience.
Meet Your Instructor
John Warner is a national voice on the teaching of writing, faculty labor, and institutional values, both as a frequent speaker, and a longtime contributor to Inside Higher Ed where his “Just Visiting” column has run weekly over ten years. He is also the author of Why They Can’t Write: Killing the Five-Paragraph Essay and Other Necessities (Johns Hopkins UP), The Writer’s Practice: Building Confidence in Your Nonfiction Writing (Penguin), and Sustainable. Resilient. Free.: The Future of Public Higher Education (Belt).
A former college instructor with 20 years of experience across multiple institutions (University of Illinois, Virginia Tech, Clemson, College of Charleston), Warner now works as a writer, editor, speaker, and consultant. In addition to his work in education, for over a decade he’s been a weekly columnist for the Chicago Tribune.
Who This Program Is For:
- You are a Middle School or High School teacher dealing with the reality of a ChaptGPT world (we break down the specific ways to teach writing in your subject area)
- You are a learning coach, administrator, or organizational leader (our program is created to take writing in an AI world to the next level, and even implement it into your school's curriculum as we did)
- You are a college instructor, leader, or writing program administrator looking to expand your organization's understanding of how to navigate teaching in a ChatGPT world
See What People Are Saying About John Warner's Work
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do I Get Access?
How does lifetime access to the course sound?
Do I Get A Certificate?
Yes, when you finish the course you'll receive a PDF of your Certificate of Completion (20 hours or CEUs). If you are in a continuing professional learning situation we can help with this as well!
Is There A Guarantee?
Absolutely. We have a 30 day money back guarantee! If you aren't satisfied for any reason at all you can ask for your money back in full within 30 days of the purchase.
Group Pricing Options?
Yes, we love working with groups of all shapes and sizes. Whether your team or department want to go through the program together, or your entire district wants to take the course -- we give discounted options when you fill out the group pricing form below!